Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus logo

Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus

Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus

Empowering young men and women to succeed

Telephone02 4952 3922

Emailjesmondcc-h.school@det.nsw.edu.au

Industrial technology

Two Unit Board Developed Course (BDC) Category A

Industrial technology is a practical, non-vocational course. Both the Year 11 and Year 12 courses are organised around four sections:

  • industry study
  • design, management and communication
  • production
  • industry related manufacturing technology.

The Year 11 course uses project work for students to acquire the required practical and theoretical knowledge needed to complete a major work in the Year 12 course. Students also study structural, technological, and environmental issues that affect the industry.

The Year 12 course focuses on the student’s own major work. The major work includes a design folio documenting the complete major work process - the proposal, project management, development, realisation and evaluation. The major work forms part of both the school’s assessment and is marked by external examiners to make up 60% of the HSC external examination mark. The remaining 40% of the HSC external examination mark is from a written examination. Students undertake an in-depth study of one company within the industry and produce a report based on that study.

Students choose one focus area that is studied in both the Year 11 and Year 12 courses. The three focus areas available are:

Timber products and furniture technologies

There are no pre-requisites for industrial technology - timber products and furniture technologies however students who have studied wood or graphics technology in Stage 5 will find their knowledge and skills an advantage in this course. Students cannot study Furniture Making Pathways (VET) with industrial technology - timber products and furniture technologies.

More information about timber products and furniture technologies is available here.

Graphics

In the graphic technologies focus students develop Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) drawing and model making skills. There are no prerequisites for industrial technology - graphics technologies however students who have studied Graphics Technology in Stage 5 will find their knowledge and skills an advantage in this course.

More information about graphics is available here.

Multimedia

Students in this focus develop skills to:

  • create interactive multimedia products, such as simple games and Flash websites, using a range of multimedia software including Adobe Flash and Dreamweaver.
  • capture images and video for computer editing and manipulation.

There are no pre-requisites for industrial technology - multimedia technologies however students who have studied computing studies or multimedia in Stage 5 will find their knowledge and skills an advantage in this course.

More information about multimedia is available here.