Use this page to help connect your BYOD.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Students at Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus are encouraged to bring their own device as part of the Department of Education BYOD Program. Although we cannot recommend a particular BYOD, staff are able to assist by answering questions as to what is minimum requirements are needed in their classroom.
When purchasing a BYOD, please consider the following:
- Battery Life: Battery life – sufficient to last through the day. Students are responsible to bring a device that is fully charged.
- Apple Mac laptop or Windows based laptops: Either are suitable and the Department of Education license for Microsoft Office software can be used on either.
- Students studying subjects including Visual Art, Design, Digital Technologies, Film and TV Media may wish to consider laptops with larger displays (13″-15″), 256-512 GB HDD and/or i7 processors. Students can discuss with their class teachers if required.
- In addition, a BYO mouse for use with their device and a set of headphones is highly recommended. Students are advised to only use the headphones when directed by the classroom teacher in their learning.
- Software: Students have access to Department of Education BYOD licenses for up to six devices for Microsoft Office, including Office for Mac, Adobe Design and Web suite and other educational software. Students must ensure they have a legal and licensed version of a supported operating system and of software.
- Anti-virus: Anti-virus software is highly recommended.
- NSW Department of Education‘s Wi-Fi network connection: Student devices are permitted to connect to the department’s Wi-Fi network while at school. There is no cost for this service.
- Theft and damage: It is highly recommended that a protective case is used with the students BYOD. In addition, consideration should be given to insurance and accidental damage protection. Students are responsible for securing and protecting their devices at school. Any loss or damage to a device is not the responsibility of the school or the Department.
- Confiscation: Students’ devices may be confiscated if the school has reasonable grounds to suspect that a device contains data which breaches the BYOD Student Agreement.
- Maintenance and support: Students are solely responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their devices.
- Ergonomics: Students should ensure they are comfortable using their device during the school day particularly in relation to screen size, sturdy keyboard etc.
- Data back-up: Students are responsible for backing-up their own data and should ensure this is done regularly.
- Insurance/warranty: Students and their parents/caregivers are responsible for arranging their own insurance and should be aware of the warranty conditions for the device.
The College considers a laptop to be the most appropriate BYOD device to enhance student learning. If a student chooses to use an iPad or similar tablet as their BYOD device, it is their responsibility to ensure that they can confidently use Office software on the platform and other common classroom requirements. An external keyboard would be highly recommended.
Connecting to Wi-Fi at school
All students have access to Wi-Fi on their BYOD here at Callaghan College Jesmond. Instructions are available below for a range of device types. If you still require assistance, contact the TSO and they can assist you.
Here are instructions on how to connect to the DETNSW Wi-Fi.
At Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus we use a system called PaperCut to manage our printing. This system allows us to allocate $10 per year for each student. If additional balance is required, it is available at the front office.
Students are able to print from their BYOD's using a system from PaperCut called Mobility Print.
How to install BYOD Printing
- Connect to the school Wi-Fi (detnsw) using the same credentials you use to login to computers at school
- Open up a web browser and authenticate to http://detnsw.net
- Browse to http://10.173.240.18:9163/setup
- Download and install Mobility Print
- During the install process, select both Follow Me BW, and Follow Me Colour
- When prompted, authenticate using your school credentials (for example: firstname.lastname6@detnsw)
- You should now have two printers on your BYOD. Simply print as you normally would, select one of the two Follow Me printers, and go over to the printer to release the job