The science faculty at Callaghan College Jesmond Campus has a professional, competent and highly experienced staff who take pride in ‘getting the best’ out of all of our students. At Jesmond we implement a student centred approach which allows for students to develop ownership of their academic abilities, ensuring they become independent and confident members of society.
At Jesmond we ensure our students are exposed to a range of digital technologies throughout their education. Students will undertake practical experiments to investigate a wide variety of topics, developing the skills to work independently or cooperatively in our laboratories and society. Students are exposed to a variety of scientific investigations designed to create meaningful links to the syllabus outcomes and their lives.
The laboratories at the campus have recently been renovated and contain modern equipment and safety features.
Courses on offer:
Science at a glance
- The new NESA syllabus has been introduced in 2018 with the Year 11 courses covering Modules 1, 2, 3 and 4 in all offered subjects.
- In 2019, the students in Year 12 will be undertaking the new Higher School Certificate course covering Modules 5, 6, 7 and 8.
- Students completing other science faculty subjects can elect to undertake Investigating Science with the Principal’s approval.
- All of the science subjects are 2 unit courses that can count towards your ATAR.
- All of the science subjects include experiments, secondary research, modelling and theory. In some subjects students will participate in an excursion with the University of Newcastle and complete Experimentfest.
- All of the science subjects require commitment to completion of class work, homework and assessment tasks